[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Track wheels for E30 M3

>I've seen 15"-17" combos at the track on my type car. What are you E30
>M3 owners running? Did it require a spacer? Does anyone have some used
>ones they will sell me? I don't want to spend more that ~$200 per wheel
>(tires being extra of course).

I went through this same thing last year.  I bought my E30 M3 with an extra
set of wheels (7 X 16) and Toyo F1 tires (225/45-16).  The tires were not
sticky enough for the track.  They were fine on the street, but produced too
rough a ride with the stock E30 suspension.  I ended up buying another set
of 7 X 15 wheels and putting BFG R1's on them in 225/50-15 for the track.
The tires are fantastic on the track and the stiff sidewall construction on
the R1 makes up for the 50 size sidewall of the tire.  I believe that a 225
width is probably the widest you can go on a track tire for the E30 M3
without rubbing during hard cornering.

Hope this helps.

Bob Stommel
78 320iS, 88 M3, 95 M3