[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: missed shifts/detents/solenoids

> From: morph@domain.elided
> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:24:48
> Subject: Missed shifts
>
> I am not an expert on driving so I follow what I have been told to do, that is to treat the
> shifter like an egg. I am an expert on controls and electronics so I would suggest that BMW
> fix the problem (what or who ever is the cause). We live in an age when many former
> mechanical systems have been replaced by electro-mechanical and electronic hybrid
> systems, for example fuel injection systems. BMW could add a solenoid driven pin which
> would gate 2nd gear out over a certain transmission rpm limit. A few dollars to save 10
> grand is a fair trade off, after all, our top speed and rpm is already limited through the
> control unit.
>
> This article was spell checked but not gammer checked. So read it at your own risk!

I have to add one thing to this message.  What a joke, if you start
adding detents to when or where you can shift, you will have nothing
better than a chevy to drive.  The CAGS skip shift in the camaro will be
the next "advancement" if you want all these computer control on a
manual transmission.  Manual means that the driver controls the
shifting.  I dont want to be told I have to shift to 4th because I'm at
a certain rpm instead of 2nd like I want.  And, if I wish to shift to
3rd from 5th, I will.  If I am going to pay $40K for the car, I want to
be able to choose my shift point.
Thanks,
Lowell

96 M3