[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cylinder Hex Head bolts

Harvey; Chou said:

>A kit of 14 bolts is P/N 11-12-1-726-478./  The local dealer charged me $30.70
>with CCA discount,  Dealer's list is $36.12 (Allison BMW, Mountain View Ca.
>
>This bulletin says it applies to all M20 engines produced through 3/89.  I
>think some? dealers and independent mechanics?? have been changing out the
>bolts as the find them during routine work (e.g. valve adjust).

FWIW, the final warranty work done on our '91 325, in October '95, included
changing the head gasket due to a slight oil seepage from the front.  The
dealer changed head bolts at the same time.  An unnecessary precaution?

If anyone has additional *factual* background (not speculation) on this
problem, please post. Is this mainly a materials reliability issue (as
opposed to raw bolt strength)?

Paul Reitz
BMWCCA #1167