[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cruise control for the Autobahn

Scott Blazey writes:

>If your 6'er is a Euro, are you sure you have an M6 or is it an M635? In
>any event, cruise control was available for Euro 6'ers. It's just that no
>self-respecting German autobahn meister would order his car with it. It
>would have been almost as sacreligious as having cup holders....

Which is not to say, that it is not unuseful.  While I think most
Germans still believe cruise control is an American frivolity, I
suspect that is because they have not used it at home.  It is actually
quite helpful on the Autobahn - not where it is unrestricted, but
where there is a speed limit.

German speed limits are often enforced by photo-radar or
photo-electric timers, with the fines and points for speeding
following specific formula.  With cruise control, you simply program
*your* machine to travel at a speed just below the threshold of
*their* machine, and, et voila, no fines or no points depending on the
threshold you choose.

- -John
'96 318is (mit Geschwindigkeitsregelung :)

- --
John Firestone, Alfred Wegener Institut   jfiresto@domain.elided
 fuer Polar- und Meeresforschung             +49 (471) 4831 363
Postfach 120161, D-27515 Bremerhaven          ..  ...  .... 149 (fax)
GERMANY