[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Need some help with my first BMW

Well, after a long period of desire, I finally purchased my first of
hopefully a long line of BMW's.  I purchased a 1987 325 with 76K.  So
far, I really enjoy driving it and am generally quite pleased with the
performance.  I do notice that it seems to deliver torque in quite narrow
bands, which I am slowly getting used to.
The car does have a few problems which I need to get fixed up.  I hope
some of you will have some expertise to pass along in this regard.
Here's the problems:

1) Need a good repair manual.  Anybody know where I can get a Bentley's
manual.

2) I pulled out the battery to do some cleaning and now the radio
requests a code.  I have no idea what it is, how many digits it could be,
or how the system operates.  I did not get any manuals with the car.  How
do I get the radio back?

3) Sunroof is messed up.  Apparently, the roof was taken out for a repair
leak and not replaced properly.  The back raises without a problem, but I
can't open it without cranking with one hand and pulling with the other.
The problem seems to be that the rear part of the panel does not drop
down without a helping hand.  I also noticed that it seems that something
might be missing in there.  There are two thin little rods that go back
just about to the end of the panel with some type of connector on the
ends.  They aren't connected to anything--should they be??  I wish I had
a schematic of what a properly installed one looks like.

4) When the tank is full the car reaks with gasoline on the inside, yet I
can find no gas on the ground.  I haven't climbed under it yet, but a
scan from ground level doesn't reveal any problems.  Any thoughts?

5) What is the recommended oil weight for this car?  As I said, I have no
books.

6)  Any suggestions for cleaning the alloys.

7) When do the valves need adjustment and what should that cost.

I appreciate any help you send me.

Thanks a lot.
Jason Markel
Albany, NY