[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cruise control for M6 (or maybe, M635?)

Mark writes >>I'm the happy owner of an '84 M6 (Euro) . . . . there are
times I wish I had a cruise control to avoid unnecessary attention from our
friends in blue.
As far as I know, the factory, in their Teutonic single-mindedness, never
offered a cruise control for this model (who the hell would want to just
cruise in a machine like this?!). Does anyone have any information on
either a factory cruise from another model that might fit this model, or
know of a QUALITY aftermarket cruise control?

Mark,

If your 6'er is a Euro, are you sure you have an M6 or is it an M635? In
any event, cruise control was available for Euro 6'ers. It's just that no
self-respecting German autobahn meister would order his car with it. It
would have been almost as sacreligious as having cup holders.

In 1989, while I was living in Germany, and knowing I would be returning to
the U.S. within a year and taking my 1983 635CSi back with me, I had a BMW
dealer install the factory cruise control. No fuss, no muss, just a lot of
Deutschmarks. I see no reason why you couldn't have it done.

BTW, when I asked the BMW dealer to install it, he gave me this pained look
and asked why in the world I would want to do something like that. When I
told him I was taking it back to the U.S., he put his hand on my shoulder,
gave me a knowing, compassionate, sympathetic look and said, "I understand.
Only 55 on the autobahns there." (Remember, this was 1989.) Anyway, I got a
ticket with the 635 two weeks after getting it into the U.S. I had the
cruise control; guess I should have used it, but man, was it hard
recalibrating my normal driving speed to half of what it was in the old
country.

FWIW
Scott Blazey