[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<e30> Head bolts

>From: WILLIAM.L.BUCKWALTER@domain.elided
>Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 16:26:15 -0400
>Subject: Head gasket leaking oil overboeard
>
>I own a 1989 325ix currently with 112,000 miles, stock except for an
>Autoauthority chip.
>I now notice oil leaking from under the head, runing down the right side
>(pass. side) of the block in two places. Along the front edge and along the
>back edge. These leaks are very slow (not dripping on the garage floor
>yet) and
>there are no other leaks. No oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil.
>Engine runs fine.
>
>My objective is to stop the oil leaks. I have recently installed the new
>(tork
>head) headbolts, to specifications with a recently calibrated tork wrench. I
>believe the oil leaks were there before I replaced the headbolts. No other
>repair/maintenance action has occured to this engine in months other than oil
>changes. Same oil as always, Castrol.
>
>I would like to just crank another quarter turn on the headbolts to seal this
>up, but am cautious as this is aluminum on iron. The milage is high, but
>performance indications do not dictate the need to do a valve job, etc. If I
>need to pull the head, it will be only to stop the leak. Anybody have any
>suggestions as to the best way to handle this?
>
>Thanks....Bill Buckwalter
>1989 325ixa
I posed the same questions to my mechanic on behalf of a friend of mine
('89 iX with 192k miles!). He stated that if you have a leak, the new
bolts won't help. What you need is a newer style gasket. From what he
said, BMW had several updates to the head gaskets over the years to try
to deal with the oil leak problem. Whatever you do, don't tighten the
bolts more. My suggestion would be to leave it alone for now and wait
until the leak gets bad enough to justify replacing the gasket.

John Darwak
325e/i (many mods)