[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Aftermarket chips and fault codes

Steve D writes:

>It appears that the installation of aftermarket chips prevents the Modic (or
>aftermarket diagnostic tool, eg, AST55510, etc) from getting any readings
>from the control unit.  Has anyone had Dinan, Jim C, Pete McHenry, etc or a
>BMW dealership code these chips so that DME & EML fault codes can be
>extracted? SD

 YES ..

 First, I'll speak generally .. the problem with some aftermarket chips is that
 the chip maker put things where he found (supposedly) extra space in the chip

 This sometimes causes diagnostic queries to fail .. but honestly this is more
 often an EXCUSE by the stealer to give them "a reason" (probable cause) to open
 up your DME, find the chip, and try the old "Warranty shuffle" on you when there
 is some problem they don't want to deal with ..

 Specifically, I have had list members with my chips INTENTIONALLY have the dealer
 ELECTRONICALLY try to detect the chips .. they CANNOT ... PERIOD!!

 NOTE!! Another way the dealer can detect a chip in cars built after about 92 (all those
 with DME M3+ or M1.7.2) is that the DME CHIP contains an encoded version of your VIN
 and production date .. this is displayed on the screen during some diag routines
 and if it doesnt match .. VOILA .. BUSTED!!

 In fact .. I have it on good authority that BMW NA has a list of the VINs used by Dinan
 and APE programmed into their DIS (maybe it's BS .. but I don't think so)

 My M$0.03

 Jim