[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E30> 91 318is questions

Sorry to hit the entire list with this, but Dan hasn't been able to read =
my
posts when sent directly.  I'm sending to the list in hopes Dan (and =
maybe
others) can still use it...

Dan said:
>I've had to sign off of the digest for a while, but am "popping in" for
>some advice from the gang.  My son is considering the purchase of a =
318is
>with 70k miles.

Dan,I too had a 91 318is for about three years, autocrossed the heck out =
of it,
and had very few problems.

>Here are my questions:
>1.  The head gasket is being replaced as we speak.  Is there anything =
else
>he should pay particular attention to related to this engine?

The only other problem I'm aware of is the water pump seems to be a weak
link. Mine ran flawlessly.  It's the same engine as the E36 318's.

>2.  This car does not appear to have central locking.  Was it optional =
(I
>thought it was standard)?  What does it take ($) to add the actuators?

Funny thing -- power door locks *were* standard equipment, but mine =
didn't
have them either.  BMW NA Customer Service told me the first "few" to =
roll
off the production line came without it due to a parts shortage.  I was
looking to save weight, so I never investigated the cost to retrofit.

>3.  What are the brakes like relative to the 325?  If different, can =
just
>the rotors be swapped, or is it more complicated.  Is it worth is?

I *think* the brakes are the same, but I'd defer to others more
knowledgeable than I on that.

>I owned an 1986 E-30 325 for nine years, so I know what to look for in =
the
>basic mechanicals.  Are there any 318 or 1991 year specific items to =
watch
>out for?

Both front wheel bearings expired at about 15,000 miles, but were =
replaced
under warranty.  The clutch and LSD also needed rebuilding, but only =
after
two solid years of Pro Solo and I paid for that myself.  I also warped
rotors about once a year, but again I think it was from severe use.

The 91 318is is a great little car -- the lightweight E30 body, but with =
the
E36 drivetrain.  If your son is interested in autocrossing it, all he'll =
need
is a LSD (rarely standard on the "is", believe it or not), a Racing =
Dynamics
swaybar, and some hydraulic KONI's to make it a national contender.  (I =
won
a 1995 SCCA National Championship in mine!)  If he's serious, tell him to =

contact me for specifics.

Hope that helps,

Bob Tunnell
bobt@domain.elided