[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Hoosiers --bad and worse

Russ Wiles cautions
> I used Hoosiers at the O'fest Club Race. After my 45 min practice
> session I had a band over 2 inches wide around the entire tire that
> was past the first set of chords. I thought I was losing grip on the
> right handers. So, I bought another one and used it a the Road
> America Club race. I used it in one qualify session for 4 laps. The
> new tire chunked. The end result is that the BFGs qualifed faster
> the previous day even though the general consenus was that the track
> was slower the previous day.
>
> If I ever try to buy a Hoosier again, somebody shoot me.
>
> Happy Driving,
> Russ
>
> P.S. Keep up the great Solo work.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Russ,

thanks for the words of experience.  I have not talked to anyone who
has actually *tried* the Hoosier road race compound tires, and was
relying on the conjecture of the Hoosier rep.   Having actually seen
how the autocross compound cords almost before your eyes, and having
talked to many autocrossers who have been *very* unhappy with the
poor wear, I already knew that the autocross tires were not for me.
The rep "promised" that the road racers would last considerably
longer.

Well, race fans, now we know better.  Russ, for those of you who may
not know, is a very successful racer, having won at least two SCCA
National titles in Solo II, and having amazed everyone by beating
most of the factory teams in the One Lap of America race.  His stead
of choice is the M3, first the E30, then the E36.    He has tried the tires,
and you saw what he said.

Russ, I will, based on what you said, stick with the BFG R1's.  I
have never been dissatisfied with them, but only wish that they were
made in a larger size.  When BFG comes out with a 235/40/17, and even
better, a 245/40/17, I will be really satisfied.

BTW, Russ puts out an M3 Newsletter that is full of interesting
information.   I don't have a copy nearby, but I will ask him to
write to the Digest, and give the address to which you can send your
$12 annual subscription if you are interested.

Thanks for the imput, Russ.

Regards,

Carl
Carl R. Buckland