[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:<E28><E24> Front Sway Bar Link, Suspension Installation

Rebel A. Cole with an E28 535i says:
>I've identified the source of an annoying "clunk" as one of my
>front stablizer bar links....  What I'm wondering is whether I need to
>replace the link, or whether I can attempt to relubricate the rubber
>boot at the end of the link.  Are there ball joints in either end of
>this link that would necessitate replacement?
>I'm getting ready to replace the struts so I might as well replace
>the links while I'm at it if they're going to need replacement.

Rebel,

The sway bar link ball-joints are not replaceable. You need to buy
the whole link.  Some on this list have reported (temporary) success
with inserting lubricant into the two ball-jointed ends.  If the
boots are damaged, I'd recommend replacing the two links.

  front sway bar link  31351 134 582    about $ 25.00 each

If you or other E28 5 series and E24 six series owners are
interested, I can post a suspension installation procedure I
previously sent to John Allen's M5/M6 M-digest (installing
springs, bilstein shocks, and sway bars on my E28 M5).  It's
fairly long -- probably needs to be split into two parts to
stay under the 10,000 character limit of this digest.

All E28s and '83-on E24s have the same basic suspension.
Only the springs, strut inserts, shocks, sway bars, and front
sway bar frame mounts change.  Earlier, before '83, six series
share suspensions with the older E12 five series.  I recently
comfirmed this with someone who knows a lot more about BMWs
than I do, Ben Thongsai.

Ben also pointed out the exception to E28s being all the
same -- the '82 528e had the old-style (E12) rear suspension,
with the 20 deg semi trailing arms (vs. 13 deg) and no Trac-Links.
He said, as far as the 5 and 6 series go, they're basically
identical cars with different bodywork and interior trimming.

  Regards,

  Pete Read
  '88 M5