[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Hoosiers come in two flavors

I overheard Greg Fordahl talking at a recent autox about Hooters road
race compound. They were doing some testing with a 911 and Hooters and
didn't get tire temps where they should be until they had incredible
amounts of air in the tires (more than 40lbs)! It's possible that
premature wear is linked to underinflation. I've also heard (seconding
Bob Tunnell) that locking one up will flatspot and cord it immediately.
As Bob indicated, adn I found out in my comp school this week with Neon
ACRs (see postings on BMW Digest) FWD cars without ABS are very
difficult to trailbrake without locking up a rear wheel. Fortunately (I
guess<G>) my school uses all-season tires, so chunking was a problem;
flat-spotting wasn't.

Cheers,

John Browne