[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Several things

From: Damm3@domain.elided

Does anybody know where I can order some
magnetic numbers for
autocrosses/time trials/driving schools?
Lastly, does anyone have experience with the
magnetic numbers scratching the
paint, e.g., I'm afraid that some dirt can get b/w the
magnet and the paint
and etch the paint.  Is this a concern?

Thanks again,

Dan Martinez
<<<<<

SoloTime sells them.  Any sign shop can make
them for you.  I think they cost about $5-$10 dollars
each.  You can save yourself a lot of money by going
to your local hobby & craft store and buy a 2 sq. ft
magnetic sheet for about $10.  I know they come in
black or white (platic over magnetic sheet), but don't
know if they come in colors.  Use a laser printer to
make any letter or number in any font & size you
want.  Then either use them as template for cutting or
painting over the magnetic sheet.  Works great!

I can't see how it would scratch the paint unless you
put some dirt between the magnetic number and your
car, put pressure on the number, and drag it across
your car.

Hope this helps.

- ----------

For all E36 M3 drivers, don't you guy usually feel
some resistances when shifting into a lower than the
one you are at.  Up shifting and downshifting have a
very different feel on the shifter.   In my E30 M3 and
MR2, if I'm in 4th running at a moderate rpm and want
to downshift into 3rd, I can feel some resistance
getting the shifter into third.  Almost like the
synchronizers trying to come up to speed.  At high
rpm where shifting into 3rd would blow the engine, it is
really hard.

I have not driven a car that I can shift into a lower gear
where the rpm in the lower gear is high and not have
some resistance from the shifter.  The only way I can
shift to a lower gear without shifter resistance is to do
a double clutch.  I try not to man handle the shifter,
shoving it back and forth really hard.  For those who
over-reved your engine, do you usually shove or push
your shifter hard into every gear?  I know drivers who
do this.

I think that the shifter is like the steering wheel gas,
and brake pedals. Listen to them, be smooth & treat
them easy (don't man handle them), and they won't
send you flying off the road--or in this case, blow up
your engine.

- -------
anthony