[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnetic Numbers

Dan,

You can order ready-made magnetic numbers through a company like Solotime =
at
316-683-3803.  Static cling numbers?  A friend of mine who autocrosses
Corvettes (and also recently started an autocross sign shop) can probably =

help -- Scotty White at we2fat4asp@domain.elided.  (I copied him on this =
message.)

What I, and many other autocrossers, do is buy a sheet of magnetic =
material
and make 'em myself.  I get the raw material from a company called =
Cal-Com
in Portland, Oregon.  Call Joanne at 503-281-9698.  It comes in white or
black and a 24" x 120" roll costs $45.10 (or at least it did in 1994, the =

last time I bought any).  They may sell smaller rolls, too.  Or just sell =
your leftovers to other digest members.

Then, if you have access to a graphics computer, just crank out some =
numbers
and letters on paper, cut them out, and trace the outline onto the =
magnetic
material.  The material cuts easily with scissors or an Exacto knife.
Warning from the voice of experience: Don't use your wife's sewing scissor=
s!

If you don't have access to a font you like, you can buy dry transfer
letters and numbers at any art supply store and simply enlarge to the =
size
you want on an enlarging copier, like at any Kinkos or PIP.  (If you =
really
get strapped, let me know and for the price of a stamp I'll send you
whatever you want.)

If you choose, you can paint the material to compliment your car color,
but make sure the color still reads easily from a distance.  Warning: =
Clean
the surface of the material thoroughly as there seems to be a silicone
coating on it that repels paint.

Does the magnetic material scratch the paint?  Yes, a little.  Is it a
concern?  Not really.  After a full year of applying and removing mine
(probably 40-50 times) the few scratches I can see are so minor that a =
quick
hand buff with Meguiars Swirl Remover, an application of Zymol, and voila =
- --
good as new!

If you're using magnetic or cling at speeds above 70 or so, you may need
to apply a bit of Scotch tape (clear, doesn't show) over the leading edge =

to keep the wind from lifting and removing it.

One last thing -- whatever material you use, make the numbers and letters =

large and easy to read.  You don't want the folks in timing and scoring
angry with you!

Hope that helps,

Bob Tunnell
bobt@domain.elided