[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<e28> Lithium battery SI board

     After three months of searching I finally located and purchased an '87
     535is.  One of the first projects I attempted on this car was a NiCad
     battery replacement to cure an intermittent tach. mpg guage and a
     constant SI light.  I followed the directions in the FAQ, but when I
     opened up the cluster I was surprised to see two Sanyo Lithium
     batteries, not Varta NiCads ( I understand from the FAQ that this is a
     new version of the board.)  I couldn't get the board separated from
     the backplane - it was attached in the middle with no obvious screws,
     so I couldn't see the batteries well enough to ID them.

     Some questions:
     - Does anyone know the model number or voltage of these batteries?
     - Why couldn't I get the backplane detached from the board?
     - After removing the speedo it  I might have enough room to get at the
     batteries - it looks like the tabs for the batteries are soldered on
     the back of the board only, is this correct?  If so I should be able
     to replace the batteries without removing anything but the speedo.

     TIA,

     Kevin Barcellos

     87 535is  96k