[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<M3> miss-shift experiment!

All the talk about the "problems" with the M3 gearbox (with no complaints from
the 328 folks using the same box) prompted me to change my shifting technique.

For the last few days I changed the way I hold the shifter while shifting.  I
normally shift using an "open hand" to guide the shifter from one gear to the
next.  I changed this to a technique I have seen commonly in use in America
which is to HOLD or GRASP the shifter and move it from one gear to the next.

[I am not saying everybody does this, but it seems far more common and I
attribute that to drivers being able to teach themselves to drive a
stick-shift. As I have said before, many other countries issue different
licenses for automatic transmission driving.  This results in most people
taking driving instruction in manual transmission cars and learning the
techniques before they get a license and start picking up bad habits.]

Using this new "technique" has resulted in several missed-shifts! (about 3 in
1000miles)  Now I find that when I try to shift quickly, I override the
gearboxes desire to select the correct gear and often hit the gate, deflecting
into the wrong gear on occasion.  In every case, I knew I had blown the shift
and didn't release the clutch, so no blown motors.  I will now return to
correct shifting techniques instead of installing stronger detent springs...

Ok, this was not scientific, but did convince me that the wrong technique
increases the probability of blowing the shift. Every missed shift I have ever
performed has been the result of "forcing the gearbox" rather than letting it
do its thing.  Another digester commented that he was taught to treat the
shifter like an egg.  I think that is very good advice.  I don't want a gearbox
that is difficult to get into first at speed, I don't want a Ferrari style gate
which is widely regarded as horribly hard to shift fast.  Rather require a
course on "how to drive" than change a car that most are happy with.

I welcome comments.

Brendon.
'96 M3
'93 MX-5