[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: measuring procedures and methodology

Hello Al,

I used 5 Radio Shack real time digittal temp sensors, placed strategically
around the
space where the airbox used to be. I also moved the OBC ambient temp sensor,
and placed it in front of the HFM. That way I can measure the actual temp of
the intake air. As a matter of fact I left the OBC sensor there, since I can
always get the intake air temp thru the OBC.

I have a Excel spreadsheet somewhere with the spread of the temps, at various
localities, and at various driving speeds (different underhood turbulance
patterns) and at different ambient temps. The whole measurement is by no
means scientific, since we are talking about gas flow dynamics,
thermodynamics. Only  if I  had a Cray and a few hundred graduate students
(must be nerds w/o girlfriends or social life), I would  claim
scientific methodology. On the other hand it did give me a good indication
that the BMW brainiacs were right to have a airbox with a snorkle, and any
mods to the E36 M3 intake must address the underhood temp problem.

Also note that IMHO BMW wants high underhood temps in order to allow winter
driviability (quick warmup in winter).

As for the home assignement, there are 2 ducts that can be seen from the
outside (front of the car) thru the kidney grill. They are at: 1 to 2 o-clock
position (drivers side) and 10 to 11 o-clock (passeng. side). You would have
to lift the radiator plastic cover (5 min job)
and snap (I know it sounds scary) the plastic duct plugs).

Noise increase was not noticed, but I do have a louder Borla exhaust.
Unfortunatly the procedure is NOT irreversible, since you actually break a
plastic cover. Airflow does increase dramatically. As a side note, underhood
dust /pollen accumulation  increased by more than 400% (indicates more direct
airflow into tight engine comp. Combine this with the removal of the rubber
weatherstrips (edges of the hood) and you have ambint air gushing thru the
grill and exiting thru the edges of the hood. Pollen/dust accumulation points
to the same direction.

I think I spent too much time on this, but it sure beats watching melrose
place reruns. I think Spelling has run out of possible combinations of
sex-partners. Every body has slept with each-other (maybe Spelling will
resort to same sex couple combinations).

Regards

Vlasis