[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: <E36> Shift Knob removal

>>From: Chris Chang <jinx@domain.elided>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 13:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: <E36> How to remove shift knob?

Hello, I'm thinking about changing the shift knob. Does anyone know how
to remove the factory knob? I don't see any screws or anything; is it
glued on?

Thanks,

Chris>>

Hi Chris:

The knob is not glued on, it is just sitting really snug like the channel
changer on an old TV.  The only way to remove it is to yank it real hard
...straight up and off. Carefully situate yourself in the car so you can get
leverage [I opened the moon roof and sat hunched in the middle of the car
sitting on top of the armrest with part of my head sticking out the top!]
 Have the car in neutral, then you have to yank it straight up.  Keep
trying..., but when it finally comes off, be careful not to knock the rear
view mirror off the windshield --- I did that with my first E36! The recoil
can be pretty strong as you have to jerk it straight up really hard.

The new knob: You pop the new knob on by just lining it up, and banging it
down with the palm of your hand.

Good luck.

Tom

1996 328is Green & tan      ||||||||||||||||||||||||||   Newtman@domain.elided
Sports pckg, 5spd              || E36+M52 ||   73233.616@domain.elided
ASC+T & Harmon Kardon   ||||||||||||||||||||||||||   L.I., N.Y. CCA#111050

Added: Racing Dynamics Strut Brace
           BMP/VDO E36 Gauge Cluster
           BBS Moda 7.5 X 16 rims
           M-Technic Body Kit w/ Euro Clear Lenses