[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Intake Air Temp

Vlasis, you wrote (so we're finally getting to pay dirt):

 > The maximum temp of the under-hood air is not the temp of the thermostat.
    <snip>
 > My airflow testing on the M3 have showed me that a open element
 > K&N will be in flow path of radiator/A/C air.

These statements appear somewhat contradictory on their first reading.  Do
you mean that the air coming out of the radiator is actually cooler than the
thermostat temp because the flowrate is so great?

I used the "maximum what-if" example of the intake air temp being at
thermostat temp because I figured an open-element intake will be situated
pretty close to the flow coming out of the radiator (as opposed to, say,
downstream from the headers or exhaust manifold).

I presume you measured the temp of the intake air getting to the open-element
K&N.  How did it compare to ambient temp and to the thermostat setting.
Wait, scratch that last request... BMWs would have to come with real
temperature gauges for you to know the water temp for sure. ;-)

 Regards,
 Jerry
 Arlington, TX (24-Sep-96, 22:06)
 '95 540i-6 spd