[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(E36 M3) Lower C. of G. OR big rims

FSTBMWM (is that you, Vlasis?) writes...

. The challenge is to
find a suspension package (Dinan/Korman/RD/ HR-new Bilstains) that would drop
the ride height more than a inch and allow 8.5 inch wide rims. I believe the
lightest rims outthere are the new BBS RC2 ultralights at 5kgs (around 10
lbs) per rim.

Dear FSTBMWM,

I first want to address your suspension package.  I agree that it is
not always necessary to buy a "Tuner name" to get the best balance,
but I am curious about the components in your mix, and how you arrived at
that mix.  Dinan tends to stay pretty close to stock, philisophically
and component-wise, while Korman can get pretty radical.  Better
check on what you are getting before getting too carried away.

     1. I do think that the RD sways are a good choice.  Very
         adjustable, and will allow a "firm" ride to a "radical
         oversteer."
     2.The H&R springs, # 29 910-M3 are 200 lbs front, 380 rear, and
        lower  the car about 1 to 1.5".   You will love them.
     3.I hope that the Bilsteins are available before your car is
        old!  If not, try the retrofitted Konis from TC Kline

Now, the problem of clearance and wide rims.  I do not think that the
8.5" rims will be a problem, especially with 235/40/17 BFG R1's....IF
they existed.  They don't, and probably won't for a long time.  I
have this straight from the Director of Racing Programs.  The size
you REALLY want is 245/40/17, which DOES exist in a Hoosier.  Problem
is, it probably WON'T fit without flairing your rear fenders, and
adding spacers to both front and rear.  It will fit with the stock
ride height, but NOT if you are lowered.

Before going too far, I would find out if anyone has made that combo work,
and if so, HOW.  I would like to know myself, as that is what I want to do.

In the meantime, you are stuck with BFG's 235/45/17, which is a tall
tire, and looks even taller.  It does, however, stick very well,
indeed.

I am getting the BBS RC wheel, which weighs 18 lbs in a 8x17 size.  I
don't know about the BBS "RC2" to which you refer.  If it is, in
fact, only 5kg in weight, 10.4 lbs, I would guess that it is
unbelievably expensive!  The RC, in a 8x17, costs about $400, from
Wheel Werks (who has them.  They are very rare at this point). Ask
for Mike Pruess, at 801-268-4132.  Tell him I sent you, and he will
give you the best price he can.  I buy alot from him.

Ultra lightweight rotors?  I hate to bet against you, but I think
that the first time you are on a track, you will warp them.  I am
often wrong, so someone tell me if I am this time as well.
Carbon fiber rotors are used in F1, and cost something like $10,000
(that's right, ten K!) EACH.

good luck,

Carl
Carl R. Buckland