[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More E30 control arm hoo-hah

Thanks to all who responded with advice, information and prayer.

When it's all done I'll try to write a "service report" to ensure
that others don't learn the hard way as I did.

For now I'll just say that my dealer misquoted me on the control
arms....and I bought them for $113 each (could've saved 10 or 20
going through mail-order but the dealer's within walking distance
of my house).

The rear control arm bushings must be replaced along with the control
arm, and they're pressed on to the arm....and the bushing is pressed
in to a mount which bolts to the bottom of the car.  I'll drop them
off a the machine shop today....a hydraulic press is the only way
I can fathom they'll come off.

The passenger side control arm is a MAJOR hassle to get off....I darn
near had to take the whole car apart to get to the bolt that mounts
to the cross member....not fun.  Missed most of Monday Night Football
laying under my BMW last night.  I ended up removing the 02 sensor,
the anti-sway bar, and removing the bolts for the steering rack.

Don't know what metric equivalent is, but a 7/8 box end wrench will
*just* fit in between all that junk....and it's darn tight due to its
proximity to the header (about a half an inch).  The driver side was
a snap.

Apparently you need to brush some turpentine on to the INSIDE of the
rear control arm bushing and then push the control arm in to it?  The
turp melts the rubber and it suages itself on to the control arm.  Has
anyone done this?  The workshop manual says to use BMW's special lube,
the dealer said to use turpentine.  It looks like I should bolt the
mount to the chassis and then insert the control arm?  Anyone ever
done this?

Regards,
TJ
87 325is