[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E30> Wiper/ CControl Interaction Problem

>From: "J. Preston Turner" <jpturner@domain.elided>
>Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:35:14 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: <E30> Wiper/ CControl Interaction Problem
>
>Hi folks, can anyone give me counsel on an erratic set of E30 <'90 325i>
>wiper blades. When I turn the blades on lower settings, no reaction. Turning
>blades on highest setting results in a few wipes at high speed (then
>nothing). To complicate matters, when the blades are on low, if I flick the
>CControl switch, the blades wipe a few times and stop. The FAQ contains a
>short reference to this problem, but only a WD40 solution. Are both switches
>on the same relay? Assuming it is a bad relay, what is a reasonable repair
>cost to replace this relay switch. MTIA.

I had problems with my wipers working intermittantly, and it turned out to
be a loose ground screw on the wiper control switch.  Just pull the steering
wheel (simple -- large ??mm socket, turn key to on and pull wheel off).
Next remove the screws holding the upper and lower steering column covers
together.  Now you can move the covers out of the way to gain access to the
control.  Now just tighten the ground screws, and other electrical
connections, and re-assemble.  This should fix your problem.

Jay
'89 325i
'74 2002 (project)
http://www.microserve.net/~jsnyder
Jay Snyder
email: jay.snyder@domain.elided
phone: 717-540-2895
Development Engineer, Automachine Systems Group
AMP Incorporated