[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Hello, '89 325

   Hello, great list, good FAQ's.  I have recently begun the quest for
acceleration with my first purchase for my '89 325i, a K&N air box
replacement.  While I didn't expect miracles, I was mildly disappointed.
Bavarian autosport quoted me +7 hp, I did not ask about RPM.  I did not
notice any difference off the line, but the car did seem more willing to
accel from 60-100+.  Because of my transmission situation(4spd slushbox), I
can understand a little hesitation-but I don't have to take it lying down.
   I just ordered a Jacobs Energy Pak coil & ignition set up, $170 direct
from Jacobs(When quoted $259, I threatened to shop around!).  The rep said
+10 hp across the midrange, 12-16 at peak. If I can't tell a difference
it's going back.
   Bavarian quoted +15 hp for the Dinan 325i chip, that's next months
goodie for daddy.

      StockM20...167
      K&N..........7
      Ignition....10
      Chip........15
                 199

   What this is all leading up to is, am I really going to see 199 hp with
these mods and a free flow exhaust-or have I been misled.  I am running on
a budget, I want to make the best informed decisions that I can.
   Does anyone have firsthand experience with these mods?
   Any suggestions about these questions?

   Can I get Calif. exempt headers w/O2 sensor, where?
   Will a 272 Cam pass smog test? (I know a 268 will pass in a 4cyl VW GTI)
   Should I get the transmission chip?
   Is ANSA the economical performance choice for exhaust?
   On the far end of reality, How about EXTRUDEHONE on the heads and intake?
   Fancy spark plugs?

This deep need started when a certain VTEC Prelude, passed by when I was
already doing 125+. (couldn't have been stock)
Please reply by email and/or posting.

Devin Rutz       RutzD@domain.elided
1989 325i delphin(beautiful color IMHO), 4spd auto
BBS gfx, Anteras
Pioneer DSP, Soundstream wattage.
In need of speed. . .