[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Key Holder Flashlight

>From: "Harold Bennett" <hcbiii@domain.elided>
>
>Q: Does anyone know where to buy accessories for BMSs. I just went to a dealer
>to inquire about the accessory that holds the main key and has the little
>flashlight with it. I have the original that was with my BMW but the
>flashlight part doesn't work.
>Any help is appreciated.
>Harold Bennett   87 635Csi (and loving it)

BMW made an accessory key light to which you could attach your "wallet
key", the little one without a head.  The original lighted key was made as
a key. Either way your flashlight key should have both a replaceable bulb
and battery.  If you want to ditch the whole thing and start over, have
your dealer order you a new, lit master key, by code, from BMWNA. A cheaper
alternative is fixing what you've got. Any dealer will have the parts to
fix your current key.  There were two basic types. One had a removeable
flashlight element which slid out of the head and the earlier one just
split to service the light.  I suspect by the year of your car, you have
the early type.  Early type will have a split seam all around the
circumference of the head with a little eyebrow opening on the seam
directly out from the "W" on the button.  You split it there with a small
screw driver/finger nail.  Watch out for small parts, bulb, spring, contact
strip, battery, and pushbutton. The new style slides out of the head by
depressing the pushbutton and forcing the whole assembly out of the head,
directly sideways in the direction of the "B".  Split that assembly,careful
of the flimsy tabs on both sides of the flashlight case, and you will see
the same components.  In the old style there are two types of bulbs.  One
has a threaded base, the other is smooth.  They are not interchangeable.
Test the batteries with a volt meter, (1.5 V). Replacement is Varta V625U,
LR9, 2606.  $2 from a battery supply house, about $5.50 from BMW.  Bulbs
can be bad as often as batteries, and poor contacts in the circuit inside
the unit account for an equal number of problems.  Hope I understood your
question correctly.

Phil Marx    BMWCCA #6021 BMWMOA #2024 (804) 293-8269    fax (804) 293-0817
Bavarian Motor Warehouse, Inc.         Check out our Web page: See our 1600
416 W. Main St.                        Cabriolet and other lovely BMWs.
Charlottesville, VA.  22903            http://www.comet.chv.va.us/bav/