[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coolant Smell from Heater

Jonathan,

In my experience (not on BMW's necessarily) when you get the coolant (maple
syrup) smell inside the car when the heater is on, it *usually* means the
heater core has a leak in it and depending on exactly where the heater core
is located, you might have coolant leaking inside your car.  I just had
this problem with my '85 Firebird and believe it or not, the radiator shop
could not find evidence of a leak but I had them replace the heater core
anyhow. Almost preventive maintenance for an American car with 198,000 miles,
so... replacement of the heater core did get rid of the coolant smell when
the heater was on.

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic by trade, just someone who has *some* experience
with autos other than BMW's. Please do not include this info in a thread on howto,
etc. In addition please note this is only a suggestion not a recommended repair
procedure!

Hope this helps,

Kim Watters
E34/'95/530i/5-speed 35,000 miles
1985 Pontiac Firebird 5-speed/ 198,000 miles - heater core replaced - radiator re-cored.
BMWCCA