[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Dealer service/warranty work

Stephen,

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, D. Stephen Metz wrote:

> Thanks for the service bulletin.  I'll take it with the car to the
> dealer next week.

Good luck, and keep up informed as to what the outcome is. :)

> Doesn't the service dept. get reimbursed from BMW for warranty work?

If it's warranty related, yes, to the best of my knowledge.

> It seems like it would be to their advantage to know all about the
> potential problems with BMWs under warranty and be eager to fix them to
> get the money from BMW.  I can't understand why they seem to be so
> ignorant.

It's probably because warranty claims and service aren't as "profitable"
as non-warranty claims, where they get to charge more per hour.  Some
dealers as I've heard will give you the royal red carpet treatment,
offering to fix things (under warranty) in hopes that you'll bring the car
back to them for routine work like oil changes, inspections, etc.  Ron
Browne (rbrowne@domain.elided) can tell you all about VOB BMW in Rockville,
Maryland which is famed for this. :)

Regards,

David Tay <tsr@domain.elided>     BMW CCA #130574, '95 E36/5 318ti
  Tay Systems Research                     CompuServe: 74213,2471
    3554 Chain Bridge Rd., #100          Tel. 703/760-9022
      Fairfax, VA 22030-2709, USA     Fax. 703/893-1154