[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: INFO - 24 Valve 535i

Eric Lee asks:

>Subject: <INFO>24-Valve 535i
>
>Hello,
>
>I would like to find out which was the first model year of the 24-valve 535i
><E34>?  Was it 1992?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Eric - there (to the very best of my knowledge) is not and never
has been a 3.5l six-cylinder 24 valve engine. There is a 24 valve
6 cylinder - started in '91 or 92 (called the M50). Puts out about
the same HP and torque as the older (pre-1990) 3.5l engines. You
can spot these cars (I'm looking at several) by the 525i emblem
on the back - the earlier 12 valve engine the letters are straight
up/down. On the M50 cars - the letters are slanted (little piece
of trivia a friend passed on).

All the ones I've looked at are '92 and newer. Have heard no
reports of real engine problems with this engine, I think it is
probably a winner. Same power and lower maintanence as the older
design 3.5l. (And it does have chain drive cams - something I
insist on - no belt to replace periodically).

'Course a 24v 3.5 liter would be a very nice thing, but might
cut into the V8 range a bit.. (God meant for me to have 6 cylinder
in-line cars.. the engines are just SO sweet!).

Best,

Don Eilenberger
Spring Lk Hts, NJ, USA
deilenberger@domain.elided