[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E28> Aftermarket Stereo Wiring (No Tunes When Braking)

On Fri, 20 Sep 1996 owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided wrote:
> This is a followup to my earlier posting, where I related a problem
> with a newly installed aftermarket Blaupunkt casette/receiver in my
> '87 535is. Several other digester's responded that their 535's also
> lost switched power when the brake lights are actuated.
>
> - -Since the brake lights share the same fused circuit as the factory
>  radio wiring, it seems that there is a voltage drop caused actuation
>  of the brake lights.

Yes, I've had this problem with my E12 528i.  In my case everytime I hit
the brakes I heard a slight "pop" and could see the display on the radio
dim.  At least in my E12 the brake lights are switched with the key (i.e.
they don't work when the car is off).  My solution was to wire the radio
into the Rear Window Defogger circuit since the defogger circuit is a
switched circuit, also a high-current circuit, is not turned on and off
that freqently, and the switch(and wiring) was close by the radio.  It
solved the problem perfectly, no more pop when braking.

Walt Barie (barie@domain.elided, http://www.nb.net/~barie)
'82 320i DSP Solo II Car
'80 528i
'80 Volvo DL