[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36 Supercharger (long)

>From: Matthew Choi <3mcmc@domain.elided>)
>Subject: ERT Supercharger on 325is

>Other than the pulley and other
>hardware and software that are included, ERT has especially designed
>larger fuel injectors (I believe Dinan uses the stock ones) to increase
>performance even further.

Matthew is incorrect.  As Chuck Quarton pointed out a few months ago, Dinan
includes high flow fuel injectors in their application.  As quoted from a recent
mailing I received from Dinan a few days ago, the Dinan components include
"Supercharger, High Flow Fuel Injectors, Performance Air Filter Assembly, CNC
Machined Crank Pulley, Intake Plumbing, Turbotronics 10 (an electronic device
which recalibrates the air flow meter for use with the supercharger), custom
chip, Compressor Bypass Assembly, Brackets and Hardware, and Installation
instructions."

I have been watching this ERT/Turner vs Dinan Supercharger argument for a few
months now and while it's fine to debate which is better, the point of fact is
that both companies market excellent systems.  You really can't go wrong with
either.  Both Steve Dinan and Will Turner are not going to market systems which
compromise any BMW.  Both are active racers who happen to love BMWs.  The real
message here is how lucky we all are as BMW enthusiasts that we have so many
vendors and tuners to pick from, amongst them Dinan and Turner.  You're going to
find some people who love their ERT Supercharger (Jeff Tarr, Matt Choi) and some
who love their Dinan Supercharger (Chuck Quarton or myself).  This is the same
as people who like AutoThority stuff better than Korman stuff or Zymol better
than Meguires or whatever.  I remember the arguments from years past about 2002
tuners and whether Miller and Norburn was better than Hardy and Beck.  You know
what, they were all great and as it was in the past as it is today, we all
benefit!  Competition is a good thing...ERT markets their E36 M3 supercharger as
putting out up to 360 hp, more than Dinan's system at 341 hp.  But Dinan is
about to market a system that puts out 425 hp.  ERT will probably do some
development and come out with something to match Dinan and the beat goes on and
on...We end up having more to pick from and other companies may join in.  The
result is better products and hopefully lower prices.  These vendors are
probably also in a race to be the first to market performance stuff for BMWs
with OBD II.  So in the end, we all gain...Boy, I'm glad to get all that off my
chest!

Since Matthew told a bit about his experience, let me tell you about mine.  I
brought one of the first E36 325i back in 1992.  There was no E36 M3 at the time
of purchase and I needed a four door car, so I purchased a black on black 5
speed.  Having owned several BMWs in the past (2002, M5, 535i), I had that need
for speed from the aftermarket.  I approached Dinan and my car became their test
subject, having the first Dinan chip, exhaust, various suspensions, throttle
body, and Euro Air Box installed into an E36 325i.  In 1994, a 3 liter stroker
motor was installed, Dinan's first for the E36.  When the M3 became available, I
decided to keep the car since I pretty much had a 4 door M3 already.  I did add
an M3 body kit so the car would look the part.  A few months ago, my car went
into Dinan for installation of a supercharger (yeah, power corrupts).  The
supercharger was designed for cars with the Vanos head, and since the 1992 325
didn't have a Vanos head, I had Dinan update my car with a Vanos head donated
from a wrecked 325.  I got the car back, supercharger and all, in July and have
been driving it hard ever since.  I love it!  The car drives normal in everyday
traffic, but is a monster from about 3500 rpm to redline.  Plus, it's been solid
as a rock with no problems at all and CA Smog legal to boot.  I only notice the
supercharger whine while driving around town at low speeds.  There is a slight
whine at idle.  I also own a turbocharged VW Golf III running at 14 psi boost
and driving a supercharged car is a bit different. In the turbo with the revs at
3500 rpm, flooring the car brings the boost gauge to 14 psi right away, but
there is a lag in response.  In the BMW at 3500 rpm, power is there right way
with no lag.  Boost is pretty immediate in the first 3 gears, but in 4th and
5th, flooring the BMW brings boost to about 2.5 to 3 psi at first and then
builds as the car goes faster.  By the time you're at 6 psi boost in 4th or 5th
gear, you're doing speeds which will put you in jail for a long time.  The care
and feeding for the supercharger is quite different from the turbo.  With the
turbo, I had a Turbo Timer installed which permits the car to idle for 3 minutes
upon shutdown, letting the turbo spin down and cool off.  With the supercharger,
no cooldown period is needed, although I still let it idle for a minute or so
before shutting down, out of habit.  There is also much more heat generated by
the turbo than the supercharger, and heat robs power and creates lag in a turbo.
I've had to install an insulating kit for the VW around the turbo.  Nothing like
this has to be done to the supercharger.  I have to think that with less heat
generated by the supercharger, the life expectancy will be longer for the
supercharger than the turbo.  The Dinan Supercharger looks factory installed and
does not have an aftermarket look to it.  Overall, I'm extremely happy with the
car overall, and for me, Dinan was the correct choice.  The two year warranty,
being smog legal, and the great service and attitude from everyone at Dinan
clinched it for me.  Well, the fact that I work only a few miles away from Dinan
didn't hurt either...

Well, that's my experience and thoughts on this whole supercharger thing.  I'll
update my experience as time goes on and the mileage builds up (or when I decide
to upgrade to 425 hp!)...

Thanks for the bandwidth.

Dan Lai
1992 Dinan 3
(Supercharger, 3 liter stroker motor and other Dinan goodies)