[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Hello and CD Changers 95+

Folks,
First, as a way of introduction, allow me to introduce myself. I am a new
subscriber, so if I should cover old ground please forgive me. I am the
former owner (leasee?) of a 94 540i (auto), which was just turned back to BMW
as the lease was up. Believe me when I tell you I tried to extend the lease
for another year or two but BMW Finanicial services IS NOT in the business of
extending leases. I know I could have re-leased it privately but having
recently started my own business The numbers just did not make sense. The
monthly nut for the car was not so ridiculous, but when coupled with the
outrageous insurance that I pay, the package was not attractive.
Incidentally, the insurance was not because of my driving record, (knock
wood) but;
1. I live in NJ, second highest insurance rates in the country
2. I live in the same county as Newark, the auto theft capitol of the US
3. The 540 is considered to be a "High Performance" vehicle.
    (but hey, we already knew that)

In any case, my neighbors friend was in the market for a Saab convertible and
was going to trade in her 85 528e with 113K miles. I offered her $500 more
than the trade in value and now it's mine. So now I have had an example of
three decades of BMW. There was a 74 tii bought back in 74... If things
continue this way, one of those may be my next car...

The 85 E28 is far from perfect, but has been reasonably maintained by a local
independent BMW shop. I have service records for the last three+ years or
about 50K miles. Timing belt was changed at 70K. Basic systems are sound.
Valves are a litle clackety but my mechanic feels it nothing more than an
adjust.
BTW, he's another local independent who did the non warranty stuff on the
540. The tires are miserable, some Dunlop D65 Touring 195/70 14 M+S. Any
suggestions? I really don't want to go for new wheels but would like
something a bit stickier.
Yeah, and I would like to maintain a useful speedometer as well. I know I
need new bushings all around, so any tips there would be appreciated. I have
found the various WWW FAQs to be quite useful. This weekend I will be
re-lamping the OBC and re-batterying (huh?) the SII.
Speaking of re-lamping, both fog lamps were trashed. After calling around and
getting prices, upwards of $25. each for lens and reflector with bulbs... I
found that Bosch Compass 22350 (clear fogs) SET with the wiring, switch and
mounting kit available at R&S Strauss for $49.95, are the same lens and
reflector assembly.
Plus there is a $10 rebate currently. They also offer the 22351 (amber fog)
and 23350 (driving) as well. But you probably already knew that %)>.

OK...  so regarding the CD changer deal the information from BMW@domain.elided
(Phil Marx) is as far as I know, accurate.
My 540 had a Pioneer 1 and I successfully used a CDX-M30 for the last 2
years. I had a buddy who owned a car stereo place who used to make a
convertor (hand made and $50!) that basically re-arranged the pin out to make
an after market unit compatible with the factory head, this would be similar
to the AAmp BMWP10. The code just needed to go to the right place in the
harness.

All was well (within reason) until 95 when BMW and others like M-B decided to
stop this easy fix. The head units now send a unique code to the changer. An
aftermarket unit will not recognize the commands. There may soon be an
answer, the folks at Blitz Safe (you may remember them as the guys who made
the motorized door like affair that covered up the head unit, before there
were removeables), will soon have a device that translates the codes from the
factory unit into something that is recognized by the aftermarket CD changer.
They also make an adapter that apparently is the functional equivalent of the
AAmp. Blitz Safe can be reached at 201- 569-5000, or www.blitzsafe.com
I understand they make some adapters/interfaces for integrating a non BMW
phone into the factory controls. Other than the fact that I know these people
from a former involvement with CarSound magazine I have no personal
experience with their products and am just passing this along.

Speaking of Carsound magazine, they have a web site that's worth checking out
if you are in the market. They have a Q&A spot as well, answered by folks who
know. OK so this kind of a plug, but they are friends... www.carsound.com

My conflict is should I try to sell my CDX with adapter or keep it in the
hope that someday I'll own another 540?

I apologize for the length of this post, but being a newbie please cut me
some slack. I will go back to lurking now.

regards,
Ken
emedia01@domain.elided

85 528e
78 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

e.media  - Marketing and Consulting
Specializing in the Consumer Electronics Industry