[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E30> Lower Control Arm Bushing

TJ Noto wrote:

> Well I finally discovered the reason my front end goes clunk and
> why it feels like it's ready to divorce itself from the rest of the
> car.
>
> My right outer control-arm bush is shot.  Packed it in...kaput.
>
> So here's the question.
>
> The Bentley manual says they're not replaceable....BMW dealer wants
> $373 for the whole control arm.
>
> Haven't checked Bavarian Autosport, nor our friend Rodd.....
>
> Anyone have experience that they can share?  Shouldn't be that
> hard to replace....asssuming there is an aftermarket ball joint that
> is available right?
>
> Or am I smoking my own vegetables here?

TJ,

That price from the dealer probably (should) be for parts and labor.
The lower control arm (if it's not an M3) should run about $90 from
any of the sources you mention. The new arm should have both inner
and outer joints, but not the rear bushing. You should replace this
too, (about $40/pr) and while you're at it, inspect the left side
and replace the bushing there too. If you've got more than about
80,000 miles on  your car, these parts will be near their life
expectancy.

Hope this helps,
Evan  '87 325