[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<e30>Successful ND AC compressor clutch replacement

With advice from a fellow digester I successfully replaced the clutch on my
Nippon Denso AC compressor (1990 325iC). Was able to get at it pretty easily
by removing all mounting bolts and carefully dropping it down enough to get
at everything without damaging hoses. Bought a rebuilt clutch from Hancock
Industries in Abilene, TX a Roundel advertiser for $110. Spent $50 to have
system checked out - high/low pressure and added about 1/2 lb freon and
system is good as new. ND compressors seem pretty robust. The only thing that
went wrong with the clutch was that the rubber that holds the front of the
clutch to the shaft gave out - coil and bearings were good on old clutch.
There was a fair amount of wear on the two clutch plates and I was told that
when the clearance between plates gets excessive the rubber gets stressed and
eventually gives out allowing pully to spin freely without engaging
compressor. BMW dealer wanted $400 for replacement magnetic clutch and all
local shops would only replace compressor - seems like they all had a
starting price of around $600. The Digest saves money!

A Happy Hoods Up