[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <e28> '88 M5 For Sale - $14,330

Joel R Webster sez:

> I've agonized over buying this car for the past 10 days, but had to
> give up on it because I'm car-rich and cash-poor at the moment. I've
> gotten my deposit back, and it's back on the market. Details below:
>
>    [Info about 1988 M5 in Albuquerque deleted]

I tried that car too.  I found the steering to be very loose,
my 1989 VW Golf is far superior (please don't laugh) in that
respect. This could be caused by the "Thrust rod bushings worn" that
you mentioned?

Also the clutch!  Wow, one would end up with very
asymetric legs after driving this car for a couple of months -
I can just imagine the muscle development one could achieve in
the left leg.

The gear shift was very stiff, and didn't like shifting very quickly,
and under braking the steering wheel would oscillate from side to
side very quickly.

The engine.  Here I was expecting a smooth, sophisticated, fast
car.  It's fast (well, a complete dog compared to my Yamaha FZR1000),
but not very smooth - and loud.

The car certainly had 'raw' feel to it.

Just my (ignorant?) 1988 M5 driving experience.
nigel