[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Micrometers

Doug Cowan  (from another list)wrote:
>Having worked in machine shops for years, believe me, a dial caliper is good
>0.001 inch. A mic is good to 0.0001 if it is marked with a veriner; 0.0005
>without.

>Ken Hooper wrote:

> >        Probably not as accurate as a micrometer, but it's likely good
> >enough for VW work. A micrometer *should* be a highly accruate (+/- .001")
> >instrument, while a Caliper will likely have a slightly looser tolerance
> >(+/- .002-.005" or more, depending on the qualitly of the manufacturer).
>
> It's a dial caliper, accurate (it says) to within .001.
>
> --Ken
>   68 Westy
=================================

Being no more than a hack "mechanic" myself, I needed something to measure
brake rotor thickness, conveniently, and spacers and a caliper isn't it.

So last night I got myself off to Sears - figured I'd spend $40 or so and get
a Craftsman micrometer.  Quality tool, overkill, but last me a lifetime, pass
it on to one of my kids (got lotsa them!).

HELLO!!!!  Haven't been to Sears' tool department in a long long time, already
had most standard stuff I needed -  major surprise -- Sears no longer sells
Craftsman machinest's tools!!!!  They still stock Craftsman standard
automotive wrenches, screwdrivers, sockets, etc - but any precision tools are
gone.  They did carry some off brand, made in USA dial indicator, calipers,
and micrometer at what appeared to be bargin prices (with finish and accuracy
accordingly ).  I wound up with a 1" micrometer for $20.  Plenty good enough
for what I need - but calibrated in 0.1" on the barrel and 0.001" increments
on the rotating sleeve. I can interpolate 0.0005 between markings, but nothing
I'm EVER gonna do needs that!!!! Does have adjustable anvil and a lock.
Gud'nuff.

While I was there, they had a "special purchase" on combination wrench sets.
As I have a son learning to be a diesel mechanic in the US Marine Corps, and
he has a birthday in October, a set of Craftsman combination wrenches with a
plastic tray to keep them organized for $20 seemed like a good deal.  Then I
started looking around a bit.  Here's were it gets "interisting"
     1)  The special purchase set was available in two versions:  9 wrenches
plus tray, or 10 wrenches plus tray.  Appeared to be identical items,
Craftsman, same finish, 12 point box ends, etc. -- your choice, 9 or 10 pieces
$19.99.  Duhhh.
     2)  A little ways away, the plastic tray was available as a seperate
item, $4.00
     3)  Took the special purchase set over to compare it's wrenches to the
standard individual purchase wrenches hanging on the wall.  As an example, the
3/4" wrench in the set was identical in length, finish, Craftsman, 12 point
box end, etc to the one for sale individually, priced at $10.00 !!!!  Likewise
for the 11/16" wrench in the set compared to the individual wrench also priced
at $10.00  !!!!

So - although I personally am not complaining, the special purchase set is a
very good deal, "ya gotta wonder" why Sears is having trouble with profits the
last coupla years!!!!