[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E28> Front Struts

> It is that time to change the struts (shocks) on my '87 535is.  I
> understand that the OEM was BOGE but I've heard great reviews about
> Bilsteins. I have the following questions: (a) Are Bilstein worth the
> money -- there are nearly twice as expensive as BOGEs;  and (b) if the
> answer is YES, then what kind of Bilsteins -- Soft, Sport, Hard, etc.

If you have an 535is (sport suspension), I highly recommend the
Bilsteins. Mileage may vary (and not to get in a pissing contest), but
we've been sending Boge shocks back lately because they have been plumb
wearing out in no time. Basically, Bilsteins are very high quality and
will last a long time; we use them exclusively on all our road race cars.

For your car, I recommend Bilstein HDs for street driving. Sports are
probably too stiff for you.

Also, consider doing the rears. They are almost certainly shot, too. It's
just not as obvious (and the rears are cheaper than the fronts)

Filippo Morelli
(E28 M5 regretably for sale - http://www.usa.net/~lmorelli/M5.html)

p.s. I typically mail order these from RD Enterprises. They know their
stuff and are always quick on delivery. 1-800-683-2890. Or you can choose
to support one of the list retailers such as Rodd or Steve, if they carry
such.