[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC> RE: Selling on the Digest

While overall my experience in selling/buying from fellow digester's has
been positive; I normally request/comply with the buyer submits payment
in advance approach.

Quite a while ago a frequent contributor to the digest comitted to purchase
several workshop manuals I was selling. I waited several weeks for payment
and listened to many "check is in the mail" replies. The final excuse was the
check must have gotten lost and he'd stop payment and reissue. Never any
further communication from the buyer after that. I can only assume the buyer
never really intened to buy the manuals or changed his mind.

Now if I has sent it COD, and he had refused delivery at his end, I would have
been out my shipping/COD charges. Hence, from a seller's standpoint, payment
first is the "cleanest" approach. As others have noted, this is no different
than the way most mailorder firms operate.

Now I realize that is an exception and most buyers on this digest are
trust-worthy but I thought this was worth relating.

Jonathan