[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> Engine Washing and Air Bag problems

I wash my 1992 325i. No problem. My vehicle does not seem to suffer from the
'strange washing problem'.

The other week, I took the time to clean my engine compartment.  After letting
the engine run a little to dry in off, I noticed the SRS (airbag) light was
flashing. After a  minute it came on solid.  The manual indicates this is a
reason to take it to the dealer.  I called the dealer and they said that they
see the same kind of problem when they clean the engines of other 3 series.
They use a reset tool to clear the fault.

Bavarian Autosport sells one of these tools, but it runs close to $150 bucks.

Here's the question:  Does anyone know how to clear an SRS fault ?  Can you do
it without a tool -- similar to grounding the pins for a service interval reset
?  If so, what is the pinout on the connector for doing this and the function
of the various pins ?

The easy solution -- one I already have implemented -- is to cover the flashing
light with a small peice of electrical tape.  It at least keeps it from
distracting me.

thanks for any input,

joe.
92 325i
93 325i

PS> Over-rev thread $.02 ---> Try double clutching, try using the brake,  Don't
downshift or even depress the clutch until you 'hear' and 'feel' your engine
RPM drop.  There are many ways to guard against an over-rev.  Regardless who is
at fault, it is still a bad thing. I feel bad for anyone who floats the top end
of a beautiful BMW engine.  Perhaps there could be a special optional insurance
program that can be marketed to E36 M3 owners.  Unfortunately, the preimum
would probably be close to the $4000 it takes to get the repair. Hmmmm...