[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:Re: STRANGE NOISE

To: Internet: BMW-digest@domain.elided

DougS writes;

>>I think this is the sound that your engine will make if your
>>timing belt/chain is bad:
>>Hear that....exactly....you won't cause your engine will have
>>died a horrible death.
>>Replace it anyways...it's not that expensive and the peace of
>>mind you'll have is worth it.

The '84 318i engine has a timing chain that is bullet proof.
I've never heard of one failing.  If anyone has experienced a
timing chain failure on an '84-'85 318i engine, please enlighten
me.

Replacing the timing chain on this engine would be relatively
expensive in labor.  My guess is $200+.  (ok, I'm cheap!)

Jeffrey stated the noise is coming from the rear of the engine
compartment while the timing chain is located at the front of the
engine.

Jay Baudendistel
'84 318i (Rebuilt with old, stretched out timing chain = the
poor man's high performance cam gear, and SCCA legal too!)