[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: sticky switches

> From: Filippo Morelli <bilge@domain.elided>
>
> > > However, my defrost button is stuck, and the window buttons are sticky.
> > > Any suggestions?
> >
> > My personal cure, and remember YMMV, etc, is to remove the switches and
> > wash them under scalding hot tap water, shake them dry and plug them back
> > in.  This works great for E28 power seat switches, but it's a secret so
> > don't spread it around to undeserving folks.  Yours most likely have
> > coffee, tea, Pepsi, etc, in them.  Mine usually get Dr.Pepper.
>
> Actually, I have a can of Wurth Contact OL (Ben Thongsai will give me
> bonus points on this) which I periodically spray switches with. I'm sure
> RODD SIDNEY CARRYS THAT STUFF (sorry, I had to do it).

Filippo gets half points on this one.  Wurth Contact OL is great for
cleaning corroded electrical contacts, but it doesn't do much for
sticky, sugary plastic pieces.

I always just end up taking the switches apart, cleaning them with
hot water, regreasing the contacts, and putting them back together.
And the E23/24/28 power seat switches are a lot easier to take apart
than it would seem.

> > I've heard of a cure using alcohol but the red wine kept making them
> > worse.
>
> Phil, that's because you keep using those damn Virginia wines. Stick
> (literally) to a good Italian Merlot and you'll get consistent operation.

Not quite.  A good German (well, the car is German, is it not?) champagne
is much better.

Although seriously, if the switches are sticky due to spilled pop and coffee,
hot soapy water works better than alcohol at cleaning them.  That whole
chemistry and polar substances and all...

Ben