[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Proposed BMW M3 class action

Maybe I'm missing something, but the detent ball in my 95 M3 shifter works
just fine.  If I gently move the shift lever forward out of second, it
springs right in place to go into third.  When I gently push it out of
fourth for a downshift, it positions itself to go into third, not first.  If
you try to force a shift into the wrong gear with enough pressure, it WILL
go there -- particularly on a well-designed and well-built Getrag gearbox
that doesn't have that ugly "notchy" feeling like the gearboxes in
non-BMW's.  Remember what the high performance driving and race schools
teach:  treat the gearshift like an eggshell.  Not only will it save that
very expensive engine, but your gearbox will last a lot longer before
needing a rebuild.

Maybe there should be a requirement that all new M3 and Viper owners attend
a high performance driver school before taking delivery of their cars.  We
could teach them how to shift and stay on the pavement all at the same time
(right, Jeff?)

Regards,
Bob Stommel
78 320iS, 88 M3, 95 M3,
Nomex-coated Dell Pentium with automatic flame extinguisher system