[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

318i noise

"J . Smethers" asked
>I have an '84 318i with 155K miles on it.  About two days ago, it started to
>develop an unusual sound from the engine compartment.  The sound seems to be
>coming from the rear of the engine.  It is not a screech or whine typical to
>a loose belt (which are okay because I checked them), but more of a bubbling
>scream that increases in pitch as the engine revs higher

Jay check the actual distributor itself. I have a number of customers with
this kind of miles on their cars who have come across the same problem. In
most cases a couple of drops of a light weight oil into the center of the
distributor shaft (under the rotor where there is usually a felt type of
pad) will fix the problem. It is worth a try. In the case of my own car the
oil did not work. It needed to have the distributor pulled apart,cleaned
real well then lubed up real well with a good lubricant , have not had any
noises since. Good luck
Spence
Mesa Performance Parts
Parts for BMW and Porsche