[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: stock stereo

> Alan Kamyab wrote:

> ...Having said this, I must admit that even though I am by no means an audiophile,
> the HK sound system in my '96 M3 is somewhat of a disappointment. It's not *bad*,
> but is probably not worth the extra $600 IMO. Several list members have suggested
> that the weak link in the system is actually the head unit, so I will be very
> interested in your feedback after you've installed your Pioneer system. Please
> let us know ASAP!...

If you like the aesthetics of the factory head unit, you can get perfectly acceptable sound by leaving it in.
I am not claiming that you can't get a better head unit, only that upgrading around the head unit will make a
bigger sonic difference for about the same money.

Basically remember these traits:
1. Listeners are most sensitive to frequency response problems. Reasonable distortion and noise levels from
electronic components are not as readily noticed unless they are REALLY bad.
2. Speakers have the most significant frequency response problems of all the possible components.  A speaker
with a response tolerance of +/- 3dB is among the best available, but a response tolerance of +/- 0.5dB is
typical of even mediocre head units.
3. Differences in the head units will be most noticeable on FM, and the BMW unit is about as good as most
aftermarket units in this regard.  Next will be tape performance, again the BMW unit is pretty good here
provided the tape head azimuth is adjusted properly (not always the case, a misadjusted tape head will result
in poor High Frequency response but can be fixed by adjustment rather than replacement). Last will be CD
performance which will be almost the same BMW vs. aftermarket. Even on the factory units, the frequency
response, as well as distortion and noise performance is pretty close to a good aftermarket deck.
4. The BMW systems "feature" amplifiers with built-in fixed equalization set up for each model.  Simply
replacing the speakers without also replacing the amp will compromise the replacement speaker performance.

The weaknesses that afflict most of the BMW systems is mediocre speaker drivers which BMW tries to fix with
equalization in the amplifier.  This is not the optimum approach to competing with the performance of good
hi-fi systems.  It's like putting a suspension kit and turbo on a Yugo and calling it as good as a BMW.

The biggest bang for the buck will come from replacement of the amps and speakers with inherently better
units. With the right component choice, these can utilize most of the factory wiring and speaker mounting
locations.  This is nice so that you can put the OEM stuff back in when you finally move to your next car.

Bob Hazelwood
VP Product management, a/d/s/