[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Paint Off Plastic

     Hi

     The front grill on my 1988 325IS was painted white. Although I like
     the way it looks, the paint is chipping badly and starting to look
     bad. I need to strip the paint off, and I have called a few body shops
     and they say it can't be done.  I know you need to use a different
     kind of paint stripper than you would use on non-plastic surfaces.

     I have seen strippers in aerosol cans (at Pep Boys) that claim to be
     for Urethane materials, but they all warn against using on plastic.

     So I have a few questions.

     1:) Is the grill on this car considered plastic?

     2:) Is urethane plastic?

     2b: Are ABS materials plastic?

     3:) Has anyone done this and can offer some advice?

     4:) Does anyplace offer replacement grills that are made in different
     colors? (like white)

     Thanks

     Don Stevenson

     BMWCCA Boston