[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: GS300 vs 540i

Thanks, Larry, and everyone else who responded (I'm still wading through
the responses!)  Lots of good tips on prices, the [potential] V8 engine
problems, etc. . .  I knew I would get a BMW-bias, so to speak, by
asking this question here, but have none the less found all the

Based in large part on several replies about the V8 engine issue and
some grounding in reality from my wife (the banker), I have begun to
take the advice of some responders to look at the earlier 535i and 525i
as alternatives to the 540i.  A local dealer here has a 1990 535i that
appears to be in good shape with low miles.  It's older than I was
looking for (I was originally looking for a '92 535i when I stumbled on
the 540i), but much easier on the pocket book.  Nice styling, too.  Any
thoughts on:

1) the '90 535i
2) the '92 535i
3) the '92 525i

And let me conclude with the ultimate question.  If you have $25,000 or
less to spend on a 5-series BMW, which year/model would it be, and
why???

Thanks again to everyone for all the great replies so far.  I will be
making a decision in October.

Further replies appreciated!

Bob