[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E30> ABS problem found

Matthew Hocker wrote:

> Well, I have (or rather, the service station has) found the ABS problem. It
> seems that when they were changing my springs (I replaced my lowering springs
> with the stock springs) they inadvertently didn't tie down the wires for the
> ABS sensor and the front brake lining wear sensor. As a result, the rim wore
> down the wires and burned through them. Naturally, the system registered a
> fault. They're going to replace the sensor (since it comes with the wire
> attached) on Saturday. Part cost: $168.02! Whew, am I glad this wasn't my
> fault!
>
> Just goes to show that if I'd done this myself, I wouldn't have had such a
> problem. I would have, too, except that I'm a little scared of the whole
> concept of a spring compressor.

Glad to hear your problem was solved. I too was wary about using a spring
compressor when I recently replaced front strut cartridges. The cost of the
local shop doing the whole job was too high, so I removed the struts from
the car and had the shop do the shock (and upper strut mount) replacement.
This cut the labor cost from ~$300 to ~$100. Three advantages: (1) cheaper,
(2) safer (for me), and (3) I _know_ the struts with all the wires, etc. are
put in the car correctly.

Evan
'87 325