[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E30> horn button

Jon R. Lewis wrote:

> I've got an electrical problem that the hack mechanic in me can't
> decide how to approach.  One of the three horn buttons on my
> '89 325is steering wheel does NOT complete the circuit to sound
> the horn.  Unfortunately, it is the nine (9) o'clock button which I
> habitually reach for.  The other two buttons (at 3 & 6 o'clock) work
> just fine.  I've checked the copper tabs on all three buttons, bent
> them a little more, and even swapped them around.  Bending
> helped the button feel but nothing more.  I've also checked the
> contact ring and it is fine.  Basically, I've isolated the problem to
> be in the internal wiring from the 9 o'clock button to the contact
> ring connection point.  This wire is sealed inside the
> corresponding steering wheel arm.
>
> Can I drill a whole from the back of the steering wheel arm and
> run an 18 gauge wire from the control ring to the button contact,
> effectively bypassing the internally sealed wire?  Any other
>thoughts?                                TIA            Jon Lewis

Just some thoughts: make sure it's the connection in the arm that's
bad by checking it with an ohmeter. If it is, it _may_ be possible to
tie a new wire to the old, then pull the new one throught the arm by
pulling the old wire out. If not, it may be possible to some-how
snake a new wire through the arm. Routing a wire on the outside of
the wheel would be my last option.

Hope this helps,
Evan  '87 325