[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<All> CD changers Pioneer M-series

There has been some discussion on the list about the compatiblity of the
Pioneer M-series after-market CD changers to the Factory CD-Ready radios.
I've been playing with these for about a week now trying to fit one to a
'93 740i for a customer and have come up with the following compatibility
findings through frustration and trial and error.  Talking with both
technical staff at Crutchfield and AAMP of America, who make the
interconnect adapters for such applications, I find even these supposed
experts have misinformation.  The adapter listed is about $20 from
Crutchfield and connects the factory CD data cable to the Pioneer
after-market data cable.  Removing the threaded connector on the factory
cable and taping the two together will give a better connection.  There
exists some confusion as to the naming of the factory radio types, either
by label or by read-out from pushing (-) and (Program) buttons
simultaneously.  I will list them both ways. I am no expert, and would
appreciate any input or corrections which would help to clarify this
confusing compatibility issue. This obviously only applies to CD-Ready
factory radios, those with (6) station preset buttons.

Radio Model           year/application        changer            adapter
- ------------          ----------------     ---------------      ----------
CM5908  (Alpine)        89-93 E30         factory BMW only         n/a
 infrared slot)         89-91 other

KE83zbm (Pioneer)       89-93 E30         CDX-M30 ("M" series)  None needed
(+) (-) (Mode) at lower right corner

CM5901(Alpine,          91-94 All         CDX-M30               AAMP BMWPIO
 Alpine2, Alpine3)

KE91zbm (Pioneer        91-94 All         CDX-M30               AAMP BMWPIO

 PIO, PIO2,*not PIONEER4*)

CM5903L (Alpine5?)      95+ All           Factory BMW only           n/a

KE93zbm (Pioneer)       95+ All           Factory BMW only           n/a

If your Pioneer label says "KE91zbm version 4" or reads "PIONEER4" when
pushing (-) and (Program), the CDX-M30 will not be recognized by the head
unit.  The disc magazine will load and index, and eject when asked, but it
cannot be accessed by the head unit, even though the factory changer will
work with either version, the aftermarket M-series changer will not.  The
Pioneer4 is showing up on '93 740i models and as a warranty replacement for
the earlier Pioneer.

If you have the later head unit that will (-) (program) its name, but it's
an early production E36 4dr w/o factory CD wiring, the only way to make the
M-series changers work is to get the factory wiring and the adapter and
connect to the Pioneer changer data cable.  There is no cheap way that I
know.

95+ information is from AAMP and I have not tried anything yet.  I believe
the 318ti uses a different head unit, like the P102 of the E36 318i w/o
weather band, and might work, again, I haven't tried it out.

As previously mentioned on the digest, the CDX-M30 is available quite
cheaply at times.  Crutchfield shows a list price of $558 but they have
returned units in their outlet priced at $399, dropped to $349 then listed
on sale at $339 and some have bought them for even $100 less.  They will
not mail-order the returns and I don't know what they sell new ones for.
Any Pioneer "M" series changer will work, the CDX-M30 is just the most
current.

I hope this helps somebody, 'cause there was no help for me when I needed it.

Phil Marx    BMWCCA #6021 BMWMOA #2024 (804) 293-8269    fax (804) 293-0817
Bavarian Motor Warehouse, Inc.         Check out our Web page: See our 1600
416 W. Main St.                        Cabriolet and other lovely BMWs.
Charlottesville, VA.  22903            http://www.comet.chv.va.us/bav/