[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Inspection I results

I just wanted to follow up on a recent thread about prices of the
various services from different shops.

My wife's 95 325iA was due for Inspection I at 19k miles, so I
called around and was quoted $350 by the dealer, $200 by most
independents, and $260 by Dinan.

I did the oil and microfilter change myself for about $40 in parts
and lots of time and pain. I will *never* change my microfilter
myself again, and don't recommend it for owners of '95 E36's!!

That just left all the "inspect and lube" items, plus a brake fluid
flush. I got all that done, plus that all-important stamp in the
warranty book, at a great local place for $120. That's probably pretty
steep considering they didn't use any parts, so next time I'll just give
them the $200 and let them struggle with the microfilter.

The moral is - even if you're as mechanically inept as I am, you
can save a substantial amount of money by doing just a little work
yourself, and not using the dealer.

- --Neil