[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E30> horn button

I've got an electrical problem that the hack mechanic in me can't
decide how to approach.  One of the three horn buttons on my
'89 325is steering wheel does NOT complete the circuit to sound
the horn.  Unfortunately, it is the nine (9) o'clock button which I
habitually reach for.  The other two buttons (at 3 & 6 o'clock) work
just fine.  I've checked the copper tabs on all three buttons, bent
them a little more, and even swapped them around.  Bending
helped the button feel but nothing more.  I've also checked the
contact ring and it is fine.  Basically, I've isolated the problem to
be in the internal wiring from the 9 o'clock button to the contact
ring connection point.  This wire is sealed inside the
corresponding steering wheel arm.

Can I drill a whole from the back of the steering wheel arm and
run an 18 gauge wire from the control ring to the button contact,
effectively bypassing the internally sealed wire?  Any other
thoughts?                                TIA            Jon Lewis