[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2002tii question

>Ok- I just bought a beautiful '73 tii a week ago, and I'm already having
>problems.  The car is hesitating under acceleration in a big way.
>Yesterday it became pretty much undriveable.  So, I took it in to the shop

My '74 behaved this way when I first bought it.  Before you get into any
actual repair work make sure you hit all the key tii tune up bits (well
covered in a European Car issue of a couple of years ago if you have
access via a library):

1)  Clean all 4 fuel filters
2)  Change points, plugs, condensor, set timing
3)  Tune the injection using a factory manual or have someone who knows
what they are doing do it (e.g. set idle speed and mixture the proper
way).  It is absolutely vital to set these things up correctly--you need
the proper tools and the injection linkage must be in good shape (call
Maximillian at 800-950-2002 if you need new parts) and the adjustments
must all be spot on.  The best source for all of this is the BMW NA
Kugelfischer manual that you can get from the tii registry which is
listed on the back of the Roundel.

If you don't do all of this it isn't worth the effort to do anything
else.  Many and/or most tii problems can be solved by doing the above.
I'm convinced I saved a $1,000 off the price of my '74 b/c the original
owner hadn't done this and thought the car would never run right.

Good luck,
Ware
'72 & '74 2002tii